Rowan's old laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150) showed up in the post today (Thank you thank you thank you thank you *SMOOCH*
). It's currently parked atop a china cabinet at Crystal & Kelly's place, away from the cats. The hard drive for it is at my elbow, the first of three surviving pieces of the G3 Lombard I'd tried to refurb for my niece... and the hard drive I'll pull out of it will get completely nuked and then put into the Dell Lattitude 7500 (P-II/400) that I'm refurbing for my nephew, which is getting the two bars of 256 SODIMMs that are the remaining two pieces from the Lombard.
Side note: I need to get the older (than the Lombard) Mac lappy from my brother in law. It occurs to me that it may simply be the processor card that's FUBAR, and perhaps I can make the silly thing go yet. With the 6gb drive that'll come out of the 7500, it might be a serviceable unit for Alyson (oldest munchkin of my baby sister). I've nothing for Makayla, though, to it'd have to be a something-other-than Christmas gift. Anyway.
Both the 5150 and the and the 7500 will be getting Windows XP Professional, at least in the beginning. I'm wondering if I'll be able to interest Lauren in one of the flavors of Linux; she's not a heavy gamer (like I am) instead preferring to do photo edits and use a chat client (she loved AdiumX on the Lombard). We'll see.
Now, to more serious matters. I have been poked (rather strongly in one case) for my 'state of the Ellie' post a few days back. I spent a handful of days trying to figure out what I'd done wrong, and finally turned to someone I could trust totally and -asked-. A long conversation ensued, and finally they managed to punch a hole through my addled logic and explain it bluntly. Apparently what I laid out isn't 'survivable' on its own, leaving people wondering if I was going to punch my own clock to be done with it all.
No. I won't go out that way. There ARE some good things, and those are what keep me going:
- I'm an avid gamer. Both Ragnarok Online and Dwarf Fortress get installed wherever I'm going to spend more than a couple hours at (well, except for work). I pour a lot of my time and energy into RO, constantly fiddling with builds and stats to find a mix that works effectively without betraying the 'personality' I've projected into each character. Yeah, I'm nuts. Sue me and get over it already.
- My close family has been nothing short of wonderful this year, at least in the 'supportive' department. I number several among them that are not strictly blood relatives; some of them are far closer to me than most of my extended family. Crystal and Kelly factor in here, as does Rowan and a handful of others both on and off LiveJournal. After years of operating without one, I finally have a safety net.
- I have two darling, pampered and utterly spoiled guinea pigs that continue to be a source of delight and amusement. Winkerton is an american short hair, and Mollie is a silkie. Mollie's appeared in my journal before, being the escape artist during a vet visit. When I get a chance I'll link this to that post. FOUND IT!
- I have a job that I like, reasonably so anyway. It has its ups and downs, but overall I like the folks I work with. While I'm not looking forward to the large project ahead of me, it'll at least give me incentive to learn new things. That's a positive, right? :)
- White chocolate peppermint bark. M-O-O-N that spells peppermint bark, laws yes.
- A -ton- of new music dropped in my lap through the course of the year. A full catalogue of Waylon Jennings, some My Chemical Romance, more Nightwish, a truckload of Alice Cooper, Alyson Kraus, Neko Case... hell even some King Diamond found its' way to me. Woot!
I'll babble extensively about my RO characters later... my main is a mage named Corinna. Come say 'hi' on the Valkyrie server!
Anyway, it's omnomnom time.